This is the time of the year when people make their resolutions for the New Year. I have a number of the things that I would like to accomplish in 2011, but I will not bore you with the full list. Like many people I want to do more of some things and less of others. One of the things I do want to do more of in 2011 is reading, which as a happy coincidence should lead to watching less television. I really like reading, but in the last year or two I seem to be reading much less.
I am a big believer in setting measurable goals, so I have decided to set the goal of reading a book a week in 2011. I have currently have 20 books on my bookshelf that I have not read along with a rather long list of books that I don’t own that I would like to read. Whenever I hear about a good book I put it up on a list and when I am out at a used book store I see if any of them available. I am happy (as always) to get suggestions for other books.
I have a couple of other “rules” for this resolution:
- The book a week is an “average” if I spend 10 days reading a long book and 4 days reading a short book, that is okay
- I have a couple books that I have partially read, finishing those will count
- I want to read a good mix of books for “work” and for “fun”
- I will post up book reviews when they are “on topic” for this site, but generally not for the “fun” books
- I reserve the right to fail miserably in getting 52 books read this year
Update – My blogging has been a little slow, so I created a list of the books that I have read so far.